A Club Rich in its
Heritage, Design and Culture
The Club stands at the heart of the city’s civic, business and heritage precinct. Since its beginnings it has borne witness to many of Singapore’s triumphs and defeats, upheavals, independence and national events.
The Club’s beginnings were quite humble, with the first 28 members in 1853 being mostly men working in the British business and mercantile community, usually as clerks or “junior assistants”. In the 1880s, however, membership had grown to almost 400 and was seen as a social feather in the cap, not only by the businessmen who founded the Club but also by the power-brokers and decision-makers in government.
Between 1959 and the early 1970s, numerous cricket teams of Test or first class standard visited Singapore and graced the Padang.