HERITAGE, DESIGN AND CULTURE
Cricket was played on the Padang as early as 1837, only 18 years after Sir Stamford Raffles founded the settlement of Singapore in 1819, but it was not until 1852 that the first meetings were called to discuss the formal establishment of a cricket club. There have been no fewer than three clubhouse buildings on the Padang, the first erected sometime in the 1860s, the second in 1877. The third pavilion, which forms the core of the present Clubhouse building, was built in 1884. It was extended in 1907 and the northern and southern wings that we see today were added in 1922.